[buug] weak.org mailing list memberships reminder (fwd)

Zeke Krahlin zk_lists at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 2 01:28:54 PDT 2000

--- Nicolai Rosen <nick at netaxs.com> wrote:
> Uh, why? This is obnoxious. I don't appreciate having passwords
> (especially my passwords) e-mailed to me in plain text monthly.

I agree. If a newbie had a mailing list, which posted passwords to
members, he'd be blasted by wizards for doing so. This is a violation of
well-established protocol. There is a plethora of faq sheets out there,
warning new users to avoid doing precisely this, and more than enough
reprimands against newbies who do so. The public has been well-informed by
numerous Internet zines and advisors, against sending personal data
unencrypted, via e-mail...particularly advising against mailing lists and
other group services, for sending such reminders in plain text.

Such lax protocol does *not instill good habits in new advocates.

=====
Zeke Krahlin
zk_lists at yahoo.com
---