[buug] Secure Shell Success?

Nicolai Rosen nick at netaxs.com
Sat Aug 5 02:23:44 PDT 2000

On Sat, 5 Aug 2000, Zeke Krahlin wrote:
> Well, I finally *can connect to weak.org, via Secure-Shell in Linux (I had
> been using a simple secure-shell utility in Windoze). This is after
> installing the necessary "openssl"/"openssh" libraries. However, I can
> only do this as super-user, not as regular user. Is this how it's supposed
> to work? Since "ssh" is "secure", is logging on as root as safe as user?

Doing anything as anybody is unsafe to a certain degree. Assuming you can
be relatively sure of the security of the computer you're going out from,
then yes, sshing in as root is secure.

> As super-user, I access weak.org like so:
>
>      ssh weak.org -l ezekielk

Uh, I have no idea what you're talking about here. Looks like you're
loggin in as the user ezekielk, not root.

> But when I perform the same command as a plain old user, I get the
> following retort:
>
>      You don't exist, go away!
>
> Now, that response is probably from my own system, due to having secured
> it a la Chris Stoddard's "Building a Secure Gateway, part II
> <http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue55/stoddard.html>". If I must run ssh as
> user, I'll have to "reverse engineer" my secured gateway, to find out
> which switch is denying me ssh-access. Perhaps I need to recreate
> "hosts.allow" and add "weak.org" to it? (Per Stoddard's instructions, I
> deleted "hosts.allow", and in "hosts.deny" I added the line "ALL: ALL".)

Sounds like this could be the problem.

Nicolai Rosen, nick at netaxs.com
http://www.netaxs.com/~nick/

Life's a game I cannot win
Both good and bad
Must surely end
The mirrors
Always tell the truth
I love myself
For hating you
	-Type O Negative, Everyone I Love Is Dead