[buug] Great Links re. Internet/Linux Security

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Aug 5 11:57:13 PDT 2000

begin  Zeke Krahlin quotation:

> Linux Security Quick Reference Card
> Posted by Shark on 8/3/2000
>
>    http://linuxsecurity.com/articles/documentation_article-1208.html

It's really annoying when people make these things available _only_ in
frigging PDF format.  Although you can convert the documents to
PostScript or ASCII, the conversions can have a bit of a problem with
disorganisation when the authors, as is the case here, used
multiple-column format.

I ran those things through pdftotext, just so I could quote from them,
but the columnar format makes the result difficult to use.  So, dammit,
I'll have to type from my xpdf screen:

SHARK> Password-protect LILO for servers in public environments....

Only a real bonehead would put a server physically in a public
environment, and password-protecting LILO is just rearranging the deck
chairs on the Titanic.  Doing the former is incompatible with system
security.  More about this (and possibly other highly questionable
advice in "shark's" screed) later, as I'm out of time, now.

--
Cheers,                              "Open your present...."
Rick Moen                            "No, you open your present...."