[buug] /etc/service

Zeke Krahlin zk_lists at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 6 02:24:02 PDT 2000

--- Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> begin  Zeke Krahlin quotation:
>
> > Another tip from my FreeNetCubs board. Does it sound like a good
> > security measure, or too much on the brute-force side?
>
> Neither.  It's a sign that somebody has no idea what the function of the
> /etc/services (not "/etc/service") file is, and is fooling around with
> his system without reading relevant documentation.

Thanks for the warning. It didn't really make sense to me, because
Stoddard would have included that file, along with /etc/inetd.conf.

> _That_ is a different matter entirely.  Zeke, at the risk of being a bit
> rude:  Please tell your friends that they cannot expect to improve their
> systems by acting on the basis of spurious analogies, without
> understanding what the heck they're doing.

I don't find your response rude. Instead I find it highly informative. I
have passed this onto my board, so that visitors there may not be fooled
by a naive Linux user.

=====
Zeke Krahlin
zk_lists at yahoo.com