[buug] Great Links re. Internet/Linux Security

Nicolai Rosen nick at netaxs.com
Sun Aug 6 13:22:39 PDT 2000

On Sun, 6 Aug 2000, Rick Moen wrote:
> begin  Nicolai Rosen quotation:
> > No. The world isn't black and white. There are many different levels of
> > physical security.  [...]
>
> Right, then.  You have a bank of x86 Linux machines on which I (among
> other users) am allowed to use the console, including physical access to
> the floppy drives.  You have charged someone with supervising the room.
> You've password-protected LILO, and the system ROM BIOS.  Question,
> Nicolai:  Can I get root inside of 60 seconds, anyway?
>
> And how much do you want to bet on that?

I'd like so see how (with the additional provision that the boot sequence
is set properly in the bios so you can't boot off of floppy, something any
sane setup would include). And no cheap tricks involving security holes in
specific implementations of protocols and the like.

Nicolai Rosen, nick at netaxs.com
http://www.netaxs.com/~nick/

All of us who were connected with computers lusted after them. To have a
computers was better than sex.
	-Ed Roberts, Inventor of the altair 8800