[buug] Great Links re. Internet/Linux Security

Nicolai Rosen nick at netaxs.com
Sun Aug 6 16:25:35 PDT 2000

On Sun, 6 Aug 2000, Rick Moen wrote:
> > Yeah, you're right. We should really just follow you blindly.
>
> I'm sorry, but which part of "You're wasting my time" did you not
> understand?

Oh, I understood, I just didn't care. Your time is worthless to me.

> There seems to be a mental disease spread by both life in California and
> college life that causes certain people to think other people owe them
> free tutoring upon demand.  Good luck with that, but I think you'll find
> it doesn't work too well.

I don't live in California, I'm not in college life, and I hardly need
your tutoring. I unlike you however feel a moral obligation to help others
rather than merely berating them so while I found you amusing before, now
you're just getting on my nerves. For Zeke, don't take anybody's word as
gospel. Rick's wrong about security. He doesn't "get" it. by his logic it
would be a waste to use ssh because it could be brute forced given enough
time so you might as well use telnet. Security is about minimalism and
vigilance so any additional layer of security you add can help. If the
computer is publicly accessable, then adding a password to LILO will make
you just that more secure, so go for it. Just don't get overconfident
about it (we've seen what that can do :)

Nicolai Rosen, nick at netaxs.com
http://www.netaxs.com/~nick/

Earth is a single point of failure.
	-Quote from Patrick Greenwell's signature