[buug] Great Links re. Internet/Linux Security

Zeke Krahlin zk_lists at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 7 01:49:23 PDT 2000

--- Nicolai Rosen <nick at netaxs.com> wrote:
> hah, no, I will not waste my time on a brick wall. Should he not know
> something he passes it off as you're "wasting his time".

Some of the most brilliant thinkers and leaders in history were regarded
as "brick walls" in some circles. The appearance of a brick-wall personna,
from someone with knowledge to impart, is usually a sign that such a
person values what he has to share...and does not care to exhaust himself
to the ground, with those who don't want to take his lessons to heart. He
doesn't want to waste his time, when there are the few out there, who
could more considerately take his lessons, and build on them.

> I called him on the whole physical security thing and his response
> was basically "that point that proves me wrong is so far beneath
> me...". I do believe I'll unsubscribe to this list now.

That is your prerogative, though I hate to see you go. I think you
exaggerate Rick's sometimes caustic replies...and are too quick to act
offended, and march on out of here. I believe if you hold your ground, and
continue participating, things will balance out, and your contributions
which differ from Rick's philosophy on some points, will add value to our
archives. Before you arrived, Rick was the *only person who bothered to
expend his energy and time, to answer in detail, messages I have posted.

> You post something completely absurd (no offence, but read some books.

Oh, well now *that's the kind of statement you accuse Rick of making, that
you label as rude. I *am reading books...three have been read, six more to
go...plus reading material on the 'net, as well as running a
hacker-friendly message board with all sorts of clashing opinions. I am on
the beginning of a steep learning curve.

> I can reccomend good ones if you give me topics you're interested in),

Thanks, I'll keep your offer in mind.

> I respond w/ a point for point, Rick responds and berates you to
> boost his ego and demonstrate to you his obvious superiority,
> and you lap up the bone he throws you

I have had teachers before Rick, including in topics not at all relating
to computers (philosophy, anthropology, etc.) who were caustic on the
surface, seemingly "arrogant"...but who turned out (with patience and
fortitude) to be some of the kindest people on the face of this planet.
Perhaps such previous experiences have led me to be far less reactive to
apparant sharp remarks, than I'd otherwise be.

> shove your lips farther up his ass.

Well, a certain level of diplomacy is required by a sysop, or manager of
any group...where you must juggle different personalities, and attempt to
keep things running smoothly. You do exaggerate.

> Many of my friends are tech heads. Most know more than me and
> a few know less (what can I say, I'd rather be a small fish in a
> big pond than the other way around). The important thing though is
> that none of them are conceited about it.

I have met many tech heads myself. Some are conceited, some are not. Among
the conceited type, I have found most of them to turn out to be really
good people...even better than those who *don't seem conceited on the
surface (who often turn out to be intolerably bland).

> I've known many people who think they know everything, but usually
> they know nothing. They're so unreceptive to learning and changing
> their misconceptions that they stagnate.

This certainly does not sound like Rick Moen. I have dialogued with him
long enough to know at least that much. You are welcome to disagree with
him, or anyone else on this list. I expect occassional clashes/differences
of opinion. I think that, in groups organizing in cyberspace, a little
more thick-skin-edness is expected, in order to get along. After all, we
are only ghosts.

> Articles are usually fringe freaks who have baseless theories and
> moronic notions that won't work.

But at least *two members of my FreeNetCubs board are extremely
knowledgeable, and have stuck with me through all its ups and downs, for
over a year now. (We have suffered ongoing sabotage by M$ zealots, which
has damaged our membership severely.) So not *all articles on my board are
"baseless" or "moronic" (two more words which you'd be upset to see if
Rick used 'em).

=====
Zeke Krahlin
zk_lists at yahoo.com