[buug] New Economy of Cyberspace = Social Democracy

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Aug 14 21:03:54 PDT 2000

begin  Zeke Krahlin quotation:

> So here's an enticing article that describes the Internet culture as
> evolving from a gift-giving subculture that sprang from the sixties
> revolution.
>
> www.firstmonday.dk/issues/issue3_12/barbrook/

Barbrook is at best a semi-clued policy wonk.  My eyes happened to fall
onto his footnotes, and #21 and #28 immediately stand out as completely
failing to understand:   "Shareware is also often known as freeware or
open source software."  Bzzt!  No, I'm sorry.  Wad the paper up and
start over, Richard.

It might be smarter to skip the watered-down, middle-brow _Nation_-mag
refugee public affairs esssays and go directly to

http://www.opensource.org/
http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/writings/

--
Cheers,                              "Open your present...."
Rick Moen                            "No, you open your present...."