[buug] Ip Address

Christopher Sullivan feedle at feedle.net
Tue Aug 15 07:20:06 PDT 2000

On Tue, 15 Aug 2000, Apu wrote:

>  Is there a way to find the ip address of the machine I am using on freeBSD ?

Generically, just about all flavors of *nix have a program called
"ifconfig" that will tell you the current configuration of the network
interfaces.  Try "/sbin/ifconfig -a".

>  Also is there a way to register a name associated with that IP to the DNS ?

Yes.

If you just want it to be resolvable, you can find one of these free DNS
services that will give you a hostname under their domain name.

If you want it to be box.somedomain.com, you'll need to have the system
administrator responsible for somedomain.com to add it to his name
server.  Good luck, unless he's an old chess buddy or something.

-Fedl