[buug] Linux Security Site

ezekielk at iname.com ezekielk at iname.com
Mon Feb 14 13:41:57 PST 2000

Hi Rick Moen, you wrote on 2/14/2000 12:25:19 PM:

>Quoting Zeke Krahlin (ezekielk at iname.com):
>
> Just found this gem of a site:
>
> 	Linux Security Home Page
> 	http://www.cslug.net/~jtmurphy/
>
>On-the-fly impressions:
>
>Murphy's statements on the "Mission" page _do_ seem
>to indicate that he has a clue:

I *knew one of our wizards would be able to pick apart this site, and give additional leads to improve in this site. Much appreciated, Rick.

>"Information to keep your system safe" page:  >Outstanding!  This is a rare jewel, and will
>benefit many.

I will certainly study this thoroughly, including of course the security "how-to".

>Practically all Linux distributions install by
>default with miserable security.  Since this
>isn't likely to change for a while, it behooves
>sysadmins (which includes anyone who installs
>Linux on a box with network access) to compensate
>for this by tightening down their systems,
>post-installation.  A _lot_, actually.

That is too bad, considering how many computer users would *like to dump Windoze, and switch to Linux w/minimal hassle. But once I master Linux, I
can get some of these folks running their own Linux box with solid security.

>I don't think using Gibson's snake-oil solution is
>any substitute for studying your system locally.

Thanks for all the excellent tips. Your rating a B+ for the Linux Security site is pretty high, considering your expertise with this OS, and what you demand from a resource.

---
Toll-free voice/fax mailbox (USA only):
1-888-830-5746 (ext. 8275)
ICQ#: 8485235