[buug] Linux Security Site

Zeke Krahlin ezekielk at iname.com
Tue Feb 15 02:27:41 PST 2000

Quoting ezekielk at iname.com (ezekielk at iname.com):

[Linux distributions tend to default to an insecure state]

>> That is too bad, considering how many computer users would *like to
>> dump Windoze, and switch to Linux w/minimal hassle. But once I master
>> Linux, I can get some of these folks running their own Linux box with
>> solid security.

>Unfortunately, they have to do this in the name of market acceptance.
>Why?  Because security is inconvenient.

I certainly appreciate your accurate descriptions of what's involved to
secure a Linux box. I was thinking, however, of just a workstation, not any
sort of server. Trying to think in terms of your "average" PC user
switching from Windoze to a Linux platform. In such a case, there is no
need to make things compliant and flexible for network administration
tweaking. This would just be a stand-alone work station, with no network,
not even local. I'd like to see some versions of Linux specifically set up
for a single workstation...with active security right from the day of
installation.

I'll need to learn how to do this myself, for clients who'd like to use
Linux, but do not have the time to get under the hood themselves. I'd like
to be able to say, "Sure, I'll install Linux for you, and make it
completely secure with no fuss from your end."

>So, the distributions don't do this because they can't afford to.

Because, I presume, they are keeping in mind, the needs of network
adminstrators. But a dedicated workstation version would not need to have
such flexibility...and therefore could be set up with far greater security
and stability than Windoze ever could (at least, not right from the box).

I'm saving your informative messages for my own reference, as I know they
will be very helpful while I plod through the administation and security
exercises. And...very happy to finally have some time again, to progress
with learning Linux. So it *is getting easier for me, very fast. There is
nothing in the world for Micro$oft users, that could ever compare to the
vibrant Unix/Linux/etc.*nix community. Really good people. "Linux/BSD is
more than an OS: it's a life!" (And M$ doesn't have one.)

---
Toll-free voice/fax mailbox (USA only):
1-888-830-5746 (ext. 8275)
ICQ#: 8485235