[buug] Intriguing 1-floppy OS

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Feb 16 13:28:05 PST 2000

Quoting ezekielk at iname.com (ezekielk at iname.com):

> Do you guys know about QNX, a single-floppy OS that lets you browse
> the web in GUI format? I tried it last year, and was astounded. It
> really works: you can get on the web like normal. To run the OS, you
> need to download, and install it to just a single 1.44MB floppy...then
> reboot from that floppy.

Yes, it's very good -- but proprietary.

You can run a Linux-based Internet filtering gateway and NAT (Network
Address Translation) box for all your other machines on a discarded
386/486 with no hard drive, using the Linux setups from the Linux Router
Project:  http://linuxrouter.org/

Of course, that doesn't include a graphical Web browser.

It's worth also knowing about Tom's Root-Boot, a one-floppy Linux
distribution with an amazing amount of stuff crammed into it:
http://www.toms.net/rb/

Tom's doesn't include a Web browser, either, but it's an indispensible
maintenance tool.  If you need to do disk repair on a system that
doesn't boot, it's just the thing.  Can be created from either Linux or
MS-DOS.

--
Cheers,                Linux:  It is now safe to turn on your computer.
Rick Moen