[buug] Jackpot!

Zeke Krahlin zkrahlin at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 7 01:35:25 PDT 2000

I hit the Linux-jackpot at Pegasus Books yesterday:
"Running Linux, 3rd edition" and "The Unix CD
Bookshelf"...both in mint condition, at $20 and $30
savings, respectively. Usually, such books are off the
shelf almost as soon as they are placed there. Just
lucky timing on my part. There were some other
Linux/Unix books too, which may still be there.

I cannot agree that "Running Linux" is good for
beginners; it's just a bit too advanced IMO. However,
I *do recommend it as one's Linux "bible", especially
after a newbie goes through a much simpler book such
as "Linux! I Didn't Know You Could Do That..." or
"Teach Yourself KDE 1.1". Both books get the newbie
acquainted with Linux in a very digestible manner, and
they do include the basic console commands, as well as
the GUI. Then, I'd say one is ready for "Running
Linux".

"The Unix CD Bookshelf" has 6 Unix books on CD, plus a
bound copy of "Unix in a Nutshell, 3rd Edition". (This
book is part of the CD library, as well.) The five
other books are: "Unix Power Tools, 2nd Edition",
"Learning the Unix Operating System, 4th Edition",
"sed & awk, 2nd Edition", "Learning the vi Editor, 6th
Edition", and "Learning the Korn Shell".

Before stumbling upon this unexpected treasure, I had
set out to search for a decent FreeBSD book for under
$40. Well, I'll have to get around to that another
time...meanwhile, I can just learn BSD by the manuals
that come with the install, and from a BSD website.

So I finally have a nice little Linux/Unix library
which in combination provides an excellent resource
for my interests. Between this fine collection, and
all the great hackers I have recently befriended (both
offline and online), I consider myself a very rich
man! (And no doubt spoiled.)