[buug] Re: Jackpot!

Zeke Krahlin zkrahlin at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 7 12:01:06 PDT 2000

--- Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> You know, I think that that book really, really sucks, and that
> recommending it to _other_ people throws additional obstacles in
their
> way.

Now that our differing opinions are on record, others may decide what's
best for them...for in future, our group will include more genuine
newbies than presently exist. Keep in mind that I am thinking in terms
of a non-techie switching from Windoze to Linux...not of anyone
desiring to hack or become a system administrator. So I think "What
book would I hand such a newbie?" Now, I have four clients who are very
happy with their new Linux work stations...who only need to become
proficient with the GUI, and not with administration or even trouble
shooting. They are much more amenable to perusing "Teach Yourself KDE
1.1", than "Running Linux". And it works; they can run Linux as GUI
quite well: in fact, better than they ever did Windoze.

If, however, I thought in terms of a student, hacker, or
administrator-trainee, I would abide completely by your own excellent
recommendations.

> > You didn't say, so I assume that my messages are now coming through
> > wrapped at a margin of 80 or less.
>
> Around 55.  Which is fine, albeit a little eccentric.  I usually
>re-wrap anything I quote to a more standard 70 characters or so.

Okay, thanks for pointing this out, Rick. Yahoo has a setting for
"compose", which apparantly is the same as "outgoing mail"...so I
increased it from 55 to 72. I'm just happy I found a web-mail service
with this option...even if it is on yahoo.com (a service I'd prefer to
avoid, if it weren't for this word-wrap issue).

=====
Zeke Krahlin
Hacking for gay equality since April!