[buug] Re: Jackpot!

Nicolai Rosen nick at netaxs.com
Fri Jul 7 12:13:10 PDT 2000

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Zeke Krahlin wrote:
> --- Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> > You know, I think that that book really, really sucks, and that
> > recommending it to _other_ people throws additional obstacles in
> their
> > way.
>
> Now that our differing opinions are on record, others may decide what's
> best for them...for in future, our group will include more genuine
> newbies than presently exist. Keep in mind that I am thinking in terms
> of a non-techie switching from Windoze to Linux...not of anyone
> desiring to hack or become a system administrator. So I think "What
> book would I hand such a newbie?" Now, I have four clients who are very
> happy with their new Linux work stations...who only need to become
> proficient with the GUI, and not with administration or even trouble
> shooting. They are much more amenable to perusing "Teach Yourself KDE
> 1.1", than "Running Linux". And it works; they can run Linux as GUI
> quite well: in fact, better than they ever did Windoze.

I recently saw an interesting approach. It was a kind of learning Linux as
your first OS sort of book. I believe it was called Learning Linux
Visually. Basically it covered RedHat GUI tools. I saw a page or two on
cleaning your mouse though so it had to be pretty basic. I'm not sure it
was any good as idg gave it to us for free.

Nicolai Rosen, nick at netaxs.com
http://www.netaxs.com/~nick/

Earth is a single point of failure.
	-Quote from Patrick Greenwell's signature