[buug] Re: Jackpot!

Zeke Krahlin zkrahlin at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 7 12:59:56 PDT 2000

--- Nicolai Rosen <nick at netaxs.com> wrote:
> I recently saw an interesting approach. It was a kind of learning
> Linux as your first OS sort of book. I believe it was called Learning
> Linux Visually. Basically it covered RedHat GUI tools. I saw a page
or > two on cleaning your mouse though so it had to be pretty basic.
I'm
> not sure it was any good as idg gave it to us for free.

Hi, Nicolai. I'd have to actually see the book to pass any judgment;
but it does sound disappointingly simplistic, by your brief
description. However, the total incorporation of PC-use for a
first-timer, with Linux as the first OS...is indeed an interesting, and
excellent, approach. It fills a vital niche, that--if done
correctly--can ease many users over to Linux, and therefore bypass the
M$ monopoly which many consumers find offensive (usually for good
reason). Until the evolution of Linux GUI's to where they are now, the
average PC user had no choice for an alternate OS. Improvements on
these GUI's are drastically needed, but the "dummy threshhold" has been
passed, and Linux distros are moving ahead at a fast pace. These are
exciting times for jaded nerds!

In Cody's Books (Berkeley), there is a totally graphical newbie Linux
book, nicely designed in spiral binding...title eludes me. It is too
simplistic for anyone already acquainted with the concept of GUI's on
any OS...but for someone new to Linux--who hasn't really *learned
Windoze or OS/2, whatever--it does a great job on acquainting one to
Linux. And besides...the pictures are sooooo pretty!   ;)

I think such "comfort" books--at least, those with substance along with
comfort--are a necessary bridge to wean people off Windoze, and onto
Linux. And I *abhor most computer books, because they do not easily
remain open while I'm trying to learn on my computer. *Every computer
book should be spiral-bound, IMO.

So I won't condemn "comfort" linux books across the board...but select
among them, what few better-quality ones exist. I am an advocate for
boycotting *all Micro$oft products, especially Windoze. So my focus is
on assisting the absolute Linux-newbie, to make the changeover as
digestible and fun as possible. Mind you, these are people who--though
using Windoze for two or more years--have never really bothered to
learn much about Windoze, either. (They usually don't even know what
"click and drag" means, and are surprised to find out you can open more
than one window at a time.)

They don't *care about the inner workings of any PC, no matter what OS
is being used. They just want to get the job done, and/or play games
and browse the web. They are either running their own small business
with the PC as somewhat useful...or run their computer for pure
pleasure. Some are disabled, on very low income, and are politially
astute enough to desire to boycott Micro$oft...but in need of some help
in going over to Linux.

=====
Zeke Krahlin
Hacking for gay equality since April!