[buug] Re: Jackpot!

Zeke Krahlin zkrahlin at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 9 15:10:12 PDT 2000

--- Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> (By the way, please stop setting the Reply-To header.  Thanks.)

Not sure what you mean about this, Rick. Using Yahoo's webmail, I set
it up to use a different "reply-to" address, than where I am mailing
from. This is because I use a redirectional service at www.iname.com.
All mail sent to me goes to <ezekielk at iname.com>, which then forwards
it to <zkrahlin at yahoo.com>. If necessary, I can switch the buug mailing
list to directly mail to my yahoo address.

> begin Zeke Krahlin quotation:
> > Each client that now uses Linux is a "user", not administrator. I
> >am the administrator for each of their stand-alone boxes. I do not
> >give any of my clients root access...they don't even know the
> > password for root.
>
> That is an outstatnding model.  I've been advocating this approach
> for years, for naive users on Linux boxes, but you're the first
> person I know who actually has done it.  Congratulations!

Well, since every Linux advocate points out to *never connect to the
'Net as root, and since I've been studying the Linux file-system...that
is the very first thing I took care of. As you said some time ago, to
stop thinking of Linux as "desktop", and think of "network" instead...I
am easing into this, where I can now easily see each of my clients as
part of a network, with my own system as hub.

> As I said, this is the model I've been _trying_ to
> encourage for years (see my virus essays within
> http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/):

I already have. Reading your helpful material has been an important
guide to my practical use of Linux. What a *horrid realization to
discover so many newbies logging on as root. I can see why you are so
concerned. I just neglected to mention that all my clients log on as a
user...because I assumed this was too obvious to even mention ("goes
without saying", IOW). But, also being a newbie myself, I can see why
you approached my statements with great caution. Now that I know how
sloppy beginners can be re. "root", I will make this aspect an
important part of my sharing knowledge to all Linux/Unix newbies.

> May I recommend some tools?

You certainly may! I am sure that my studies would only go half as
fast, without your guidance.

> First and foremost, SSH (meaning the OpenSSH
> implementation, these days), to give you secure remote administration
> abilities.  It also automatically forwards X over the secure channel.

Got that! Once I have fully studied "Running Linux", I will take that
next step to learning a simple, secure network with my clients.

I did *not know about "kibitz/Expect", so thanks for introducing me to
Libes's site.

> More later, since we're starting to get guests for the CABAL meeting.

Be assured that this is *one person who is listening, and saving your
considerate advice in a permanent folder. Enjoy your barbecue; I sure
enjoyed mine!  :D

=====
Zeke Krahlin
Hacking for gay equality since April!