[buug] Partition Sharing

Zeke Krahlin zkrahlin at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 9 15:50:28 PDT 2000

I would like to share a common partition for my data files. The
partition is "vfat" (Windoze98), and all files are plain text (tons of
notes and html files). I do not have any binaries on that partition.

Using Linux (Mandrake 6.1), I want to be able to, as user (not root),
open and edit and save these files onto a vfat partition. As root, I
have tried "chown" on these vfat files, but got only failed results,
like so:

   Operation not permitted.

Now, that makes sense not to run a Linux command to alter files, on a
vfat partition. But I'm hoping there is a work-around...other than just
staying in "root" mode.

My present method leaves much to be desired, which is: having all files
from vfat copied to ext2...and whenever I edit a file on ext2, I copy
it over to vfat. And when I change any file in Windoze, I must
remember--once I'm back in Linux--as root, to copy such files from vfat
to ext2. This, of course, makes it all too easy to forget to copy any
changed files.

Much better to share these files in both OS's...until said time I can
completely dump Windoze (which is not possible for at least a few more
months). TIA.