[buug] Partition Sharing

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Jul 9 19:08:54 PDT 2000

begin  Zeke Krahlin quotation:

> Using Linux (Mandrake 6.1), I want to be able to, as user (not root),
> open and edit and save these files onto a vfat partition. As root, I
> have tried "chown" on these vfat files, but got only failed results,
> like so:
>
>    Operation not permitted.
>
> Now, that makes sense not to run a Linux command to alter files, on a
> vfat partition. But I'm hoping there is a work-around...other than just
> staying in "root" mode.

I believe there are "mount" options to set the owning user/group and
rights mask of partitions like vfat that don't actually have that
information in them.  Like this, from the mount(8) manpage:

Mount options for affs
       uid=value and gid=value
              Set the owner and group of the  root  of  the  file
              system  (default: uid=gid=0, but with option uid or
              gid without specified value, the uid and gid of the
              current process are taken).

       setuid=value and setgid=value
              Set the owner and group of all files.

       mode=value
              Set  the  mode  of all files to value & 0777 disre-
              garding the original permissions.  Add search  per-
              mission  to  directories that have read permission.
              The value is given in octal.

rick (at) linuxmafia.com                      Or denied.  So there.