[buug] Block Ads w/o Extra Software

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jul 17 10:52:18 PDT 2000

begin  Zeke Krahlin quotation:

> Thanks for your excellent analysis, Rick.

You're welcome.

I also configure my mail transport agent, Exim, to auto-reject incoming
e-mail from spammer sites on the Mail Abuse Prevention System's Realtime
Blackhole List (the fabled MAPS RBL).  See:  http://www.mail-abuse.org/

One Exim configuration snippet is here:
http://www.exim.org/howto/rbl.html  This configuration doesn't reject
the mail, but adds a "X-RBL-Warning:" header to qualifying bits of
processed lunch meat.

However, because of _this_:
http://www.directmag.com/content/newsline/main.html#81

...I have have just added three special lines to my /etc/exim.conf:

# Slimy spammer who got a TRO against the MAPS RBL.
sender_reject = *@yesmail.com
host_reject = *.yesmail.com

Yes, some low-lifes actually _did_ summon up the nerve to sue the MAPS
RBL, so I'm very likely to leave this block in against them permanently.

rick (at) linuxmafia.com                      Or denied.  So there.