[buug] Problems installing open-ssh

Zeke Krahlin zk_lists at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 20 11:34:26 PDT 2000

So far, I have had no luck getting "secure shell" to run on my Mandrake
6.1 system. (Everything I did below, was entirely as "super user".) First
time installing, this error came up:

     openssl is needed by openssh-1.2.3-1
     openssl is needed by openssh-1.2.3-1
     libcrypto.so.0 is needed by openssh-1.2.3-1

So I downloaded openssl-0.9.5-1.i386.rpm, which link was provided in the
page where I downloaded openssh:

     http://ftp.jyu.fi/RPM/contrib/libc6/i386/openssh-1.2.3-1.i386.html

I then installed openssl (which apparantly contains "libcrypto"). Then I
created a "secure shell" icon on my desktop, linking it to "ssh". But when
I click on it, I get this error:

     KFM Warning
     Could not exectue program ssh.

So I tried the setting "run in terminal". What happens then, is a console
window pops up for a brief moment, then disappears. And that's all she
wrote!

When I open a console window, and try to run "ssh" it says

     bash: ssh: command not found

Well, I loaded kpackage to see where the binary is located. It showed
"/etc/ssh", which turned out to be a folder...and empty at that! Likewise
for "/usr/libexec/ssh"! Could this be an installation bug? Wasn't it
supposed to install a binary file "ssh" in folder "/etc"?

Then I go to folder "/usr/doc/openssh-1.2.3", and read INSTALL, which says
I also need ""Zlib", at:

     www.cdrom.com/pub/infozip/zlib/

So I manage to download zlib113.zip, and unzip it. There, I read the
instructions in "Makefile". which says: "To compile and test, type:

     ./configure: make test

So I do, just to get this error:

     bash: ./configure:: No such file or directory

Then "Makefile" says, to install, type:

     make install

and I get this error:

     Makefile:42: *** missing separator. Stop.

Well, Jon has generously provide me with a Unix shell, but sadly I'm only
able to access it via Windoze98 (because I was able to install an ssh
utility there, with no hassle).

=====
In our geekness, let us schmooze!
http://www.weak.org/buug