[buug] Problems installing open-ssh

dgjs at acm.org dgjs at acm.org
Thu Jul 20 12:01:39 PDT 2000

On 20 Jul, Zeke Krahlin wrote:
> So far, I have had no luck getting "secure shell" to run on my Mandrake
> 6.1 system.

Forget the RPMs.  I've had no trouble building 'ssh' from sources and
installing it on Linux, Solaris, and FreeBSD.

> Then I go to folder "/usr/doc/openssh-1.2.3", and read INSTALL, which says
> I also need ""Zlib", at:
>
>      www.cdrom.com/pub/infozip/zlib/

Are you sure that you don't have 'zlib' on your system?  It's part of
most Linux distribuions' standard installation (find /usr/lib -name
'libz*' ...).  For the 'zlib' sources, try

	http://www.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/zlib/

David S.