[buug] Problems installing open-ssh

Zeke Krahlin zk_lists at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 25 01:42:41 PDT 2000

--- Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> Christopher's point is that doing that trick is at best sub-optimal, and
> should be avoided if possible.

Thanks for the warning! As a Linux newbie, I intend to be a "purist" with
each distribution...rather than muck with awkward, makeshift methods. When
in Debian, do as the Debians do...

> Personally, long before I would install an rpm using "alien" onto one of
> my Debian boxes, I would disassemble the rpm using rpm2cpio
> (http://linuxmafia.com/pub/linux/utilities-general/rpm2cpio) inside my
> /tmp tree, and then manually put the contents under /usr/local.  Much
> less possibility of system damage, and much better admin control, that
> way.

Well, thanks for your excellent advice. It's really quite a big sea I
jumped into...but my head remains above water for the nonce, albeit
somewhat disoriented. Such is any new dimension.

=====
Zeke Krahlin
zk_lists at yahoo.com
---