[buug] Problems installing open-ssh

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Jul 25 10:26:21 PDT 2000

I believe this is the mail you wanted me to forward to the list.
(You may want to keep a copy of your sent mail.  Then, you can fix
situations like this.)

----- Forwarded message from Zeke Krahlin <zk_lists at yahoo.com> -----

Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 01:42:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: Zeke Krahlin <zk_lists at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [buug] Problems installing open-ssh
To: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>

--- Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> Yeah, there's a _lot_ of crucial facts omitted from those Linux books.
> My favourite example of something always omitted is how to have a safety
> fallback boot image in your lilo configuration.

Thanks! I am keeping this tidbit for examination later this week.
Compiling the kernel is something I should soon learn to do.

> > Okay, I FTP'd them all in one fell swoop...except those three large
> > Netscape files, as I'm already updated to version 4.73.
>
> The only advantage of the strong-crypto version is that it does 128-bit
> SSL.  The regular version people tend to use is limited to 40 bits, at
> the behest of the USA spook community.

Oh, well, I can download the strong-crpto versions...I didn't realize the
diff.

> > But according to the documentation, there is supposed to be an "ssh"
> > binary, as the secure-shell client.
>
> Ja.  You should consider just removing the rpms using the package
> utility, since heavens knows what you have.

Done.

> Quite right -- and a scandal that is, too.  In light of which, I'm even
> more glad to have provided the URLs I did, earlier.  You will also find
> links to some more good articles inside my ssh-clients file, referenced
> earlier.

Okay, thanks again for the excellent resources...not all of which I've
gone through, yet. I need to fight for the time to study Linux.

=====
Zeke Krahlin
zk_lists at yahoo.com
---