[buug] Problems installing open-ssh

Zeke Krahlin zk_lists at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 25 15:30:07 PDT 2000

--- Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> begin Zeke Krahlin quotation:
>
> > I have a better grasp now, of the file system hierarchy...but I still
> > can't figure out how "/etc" got its name.
>
> Well, I can't, either.  It's one of the Mysteries.

:)

> > So, I have applied the security instructions in "Building a Secure
> > Gateway, part II", by Chris Stoddard.
>
> But you aren't providing the URL.  I don't go around with these things
> in my head, you know.

My apologies. I'll remember to include URL's in future.

> Possibly, you're using the wrong quote character?  I see nothing wrong
> with the syntax as quoted.

Okay, I'll try some variations.

> Unfortunately, adding security to a laxily-designed system not only is
> inconvenient but also tends to break things.  I hope you kept a good
> record of what you did, so you can reverse some or all of it until you
> can determine what in your (Mandrake?) distribution depends on bad
> security settings.

I can "un-do" everything, as I have recorded all changes.

> It might very well be some binary your system is designed to have SUID
> root.

Once I get an actual list of all SUID binaries, I may be able to get this
method of security working. But *that sounds like a very reasonable
evaluation.