[buug] Mouse problem in Linux

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Jun 7 13:55:01 PDT 2000

begin  ezekielk at iname.com quotation:

> Thanks. As it turns out, the mouse configuration for Corel Linux is
> incorporated in the XF86Setup utility.

Hmm.  You're saying the Corel-written utility to configure X also
creates a startup-script segment for gpm?  Possible.  However,
that doesn't mean you have to use that, if you don't want.  This
problem might have as simple a solution as adding "gpm -t ms" to
a startup script and symlinking /dev/mouse to the appropriate port.

> "Obnoxious" is a poor choice of words, as it implies I am doing this
> with intent to be irritating; which I certainly am not.

You may have _inferred_ that, but have no reason to suppose that I
implied it.  Unintentional things can be obnoxious, and often are.

> If you find my messages too much trouble to bother with, just skip
> them....

That is always an option, well known to anyone who can use procmail
(among others).  And if I cared for nothing more than removing
annoyances from my life, I would go straight to that remedy.  The reason
I let people know is that (1) they often don't know, and appreciate
being told, and (2) that's the only way netiquette _can_ work.

> Otherwise, I ask everyone to bear with me, until I get this problem
> resolved.

Hey, no problem.  I just thought you ought to know.

--
Cheers,               It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Rick Moen          It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,