[buug] Mouse problem in Linux

ezekielk at iname.com ezekielk at iname.com
Thu Jun 8 14:03:05 PDT 2000

On Thu, 08 Jun 2000, Rick Moen wrote:
> Here's a tip for you:  Install the ssh package.
> Then, when you absolutely need to become root for
> a moment, do "ssh root at localhost".

That's cool! I'll do that. Thanx. I just
downloaded "open ssh", that is,
"openssh-1.2.3-1.src.rpm".

> The above alternative allows you to avoid this
> time-wasting drill -- and avoid the temptation to
> stay logged in as root, which you should always be
> leery of.

I'm already used to popping in and out of root,
by running "su" in console. But there are other
times where I had no choice, but to logout/login
as root, to accomplish something...such as
changing permissions on a desktop link. Unitl
you alerted me to "ssh".

To ensure that I won't connect to the 'net as root,
I have not set up any ISP access in my root session
...only in my user account.

For installing *.rpm's, I use the "super user mode"
file manager that Mandrake has thoughtfully provided
in the menu selection. (This is a GUI tool.) Then,
just by clicking on an "rpm", it will open to show
me its contents. However, I cannot select
"install" unless I'm doing so as root.

> You know, you can do that using apt-get, the
> Debian utility.  You may want to add a few
> additional lines in /etc/apt/sources.list .
> If you're interested, I'll suggest a few.

Yes, I'm interested, Rick. If you post your
suggestions now, I'll save them to my Debian notes. I
do not have Debian installed at this time, but will
try again in about a week. I did not find an
"apt" folder under my Mandrake "/etc", so I
presume "apt" is unique to Debian.

And I also presume that "apt-get" is a command line
FTP process?

> But, to answer your implied question, it is
> inappropriate to impose on MUAs a need to
> "word wrap" either outgoing or ingoing message.

Understood. I was just talking about mail clients,
not the underlying server functions. At *least
they should all have the option automatically word
wrap outgoing messages. Since a lot don't, including
the one I'm now using (web-mail service "iname.com"),
I am stuck with having to fuss with every post I
make.

> > Caldera *does use a different ppp interface: one
> >that only lets you register one ISP.
>
> By "interface", you mean configuration tool,
> I assume.

Caldera has replaced "kppp" with "safer_kppp"
(or similar spelling), where you (as root) can
only include a single ISP. But their doc led me
to instructions on how to manually add more ISPs,
by creating new "accountx" scripts with a plain
text editor. Each account has a numeric increment,
like so: account1, account2, account3, etc. The
script is so simple you don't even need instructions
on creating a new one...it's all too obvious.