[buug] [Buug-admin] Open Source research project (fwd)

Christopher Sullivan feedle at feedle.net
Fri Jun 9 09:43:27 PDT 2000

This may be of interest to the group.

-Chris

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 23:51:08 -0700
From: Shaosong Ou <sou at bus.usc.edu>
To: buug-admin at weak.org
Subject: [Buug-admin] Open Source research project

Dear open source programmer,

The rapid expansion of the open source movement continues to surprise many
observers. Although open source attracts more attention from users and
programmers our understanding of the underlying success factors, the
implications on the software industry as a whole, its strengths and
weaknesses is still poor. The Marshall School of Business at the
University of Southern California (USC) is conducting a research project
to study the open source phenomenon. In particular, we are interested in
better understanding the diverse motivations of participants in open
source projects. The study will provide a solid theoretical basis to
better understand the open source phenomena, make better predictions and
provide deeper insights into the open source world.

As you are an active participant in an open source project, we are asking
for your help by filling out the attached small questionnaire. It consists
of three pages and takes about 10 minutes to complete. Please go to the
URL listed below and send us your response. All responses will be
submitted anonymously. In addition, all answers will be kept confidential
and used for research purposes only. Thank you.

http://cybrarium.usc.edu/survey/index.html

Your response is vitally important for this research. We highly appreciate
your assistance and look forward to hear from you.

Sincerely,

Shaosong Ou

Shaosong Ou
IOM Department, Marshall School of Business
University of Southern California
Bridge Hall 401M
Los Angeles, CA 90037
Phone: (213)740-6817 (O)        (213)740-7313 (Fax)
Email: sou at bus.usc.edu