[buug] Re: [Buug-admin] Message to BUUG Administration

Bill Schoolcraft bill at wiliweld.com
Mon Jun 12 13:51:40 PDT 2000

At Mon, 12 Jun 2000 it looks like Christopher Sullivan composed:

<humbly_snipped>

CS-> As far as trying to further your career, I would tend to shy away from
CS-> becoming too tied to Linux.  I'm sure some fellow listmember will flame me
CS-> for this, but I don't see Linux being the best direction to spend your
CS-> energies, because this field is already saturated, and is likely to get
CS-> worse.  BSD is a good thing to learn, because they have their "own way of
CS-> doing things" that differs from the SVR4-centric world (Solaris, Linux,
CS-> etc).  Somebody who knows, say, BSD and Solaris can easily command a
CS-> six-figure salary here in the Bay Area.

</humbly_snipped>

Thank you for your post, I've been using Linux for a couple of years
and came to realize that the whole world is not "eth0" or "/dev/hda"
and when that dawned on me the first time I did a FreeBSD install I
got to thinking. I have since then installed OpenBSD(2.6) at home,
which I'm using now to send this and have been "THROUGHLY_HUMBLED" by
last weeks install of Solaris-7 at home on a new box I bought just for
that reason. I wasn't doing it for future salary considerations but
having done a career change last year from the Machinist Union I am
NOT comfortable nor satisfied with being an average Journeyman. I
celebrate one full year in the Linux industry next week and the choice
of being able to swim in ALL waters is clear to me.

Oh, "eth0" on my Solaris-7 box is "iee0" (Intel EtherExpress)
($BLUE_COLLAR_GRIN)

        Bill Schoolcraft         http://www.wiliweld.com
        PO Box 210076	         San Francisco, CA 94121
                " saevis tranquillus in undis "