[buug] Re: [Buug-admin] open source article

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Mar 7 10:54:26 PST 2000

[_Snip_ Tom Stanco from distribution.]

Quoting Christopher Sullivan (feedle at feedle.net):

> You are incorrect here.  Many in the Open Source movement have answered
> this question many times.

Here is the crux of the matter:  _All_ of Stanco's questions have been
answered many times by _uncountable_ people in the Open Source movement.

I try not to be a bigot about AOL people and the like (however, please see my
X-headers), but there are times when you really have to wonder.

I was meaning to get around to Stanco, but was going to wait until I was
in a _really_ good mood, so I could say something constructive -- e.g.,
that he should read Eric Raymond's essays, all of the excellent material
at http://www.opensource.org/, and O'Reilly & Associates's essay
collection, _Open Sources_.

> The biggest problem with this is your assumption that the only way for
> developers to be paid fairly is with direct compensation for services
> performed.  This shows that you probably didn't do your homework right.

And you have to wonder about somebody who wants the rest of the Net to
not just do his fundamental research for him, but basically teach him
how to think.

Still, I doff my hat to you for trying.

rick (at) linuxmafia.com  modern-American-English-usage-improvement association