[buug] Re: [Buug-admin] TurboLinux and CA LUGs

Christopher Sullivan feedle at feedle.net
Fri Mar 10 10:10:42 PST 2000

On Thu, 9 Mar 2000, Kevin Smith wrote:

> Specifically, I want to
>  provide you with eval copies (installs) of our software and other promo
>  goodies for your meetings and install-fests.  I would appreciate it if you
>  would reply to this email with some details about your organization- such as
>  how many members, when your meetings are, and if you're interested in having
>  TurboLinux staff speak at one of your functions.  John Terpstra, co-developer
>  of Samba is our Evangelist and is constantly on the road speaking at
>  conferences, to business partners, and hopefully to LUGs.

BUUG is a non-platform specific social group that meets in Berkeley every
week.  We are not a formally organized group.  We are not Linux-specific.
All UN*X platform users are welcome, and we typically do not evangelize
one platform over another.  The majority of our members run Linux or
NetBSD, with a small number being Solaris and/or BSDI users.  Our meetings
are held at the Cafe Au Coquolet, directions and the exact address are on
our website at http://www.weak.org/buug (one meeting a month is held in
conjunction with the BAFUG FreeBSD Users Group, which meets a couple of
blocks away on the same night).

At the moment, BUUG has about a dozen or so members.  Since we meet
weekly, we get a number of people that only show up in one out of four or
so meetings.  We are still a small, new user group: we've only been
meeting for around two or three months.

We are more of a social gathering than a formal user group.  We do not
have organized meetings, rather, we cluster around a bunch of tables and
talk geek.  I'm not 100% sure if our current "format" would be appropriate
for a formal "talk", but we may be able to make some sort of arrangement
if enough of our userbase is interested.  I've forwarded this reply to our
general membership mailing list for comment, and if there is enough
interest (not only from our core membership, but from our extended
community we interact with) it might be worth making accommodations for
you.  I'll let you know what I hear.

If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a line.

Chris Sullivan
Co-Founder (and semi-official mouthpiece)
Berkeley Unix Users Group (BUUG)