[buug] $99 LCD screen

Jon McClintock jammer at weak.org
Wed Mar 15 10:27:58 PST 2000

Heh, where have you been? This device has been making the big time news...

It turns out it's got a Pentium-200 equivalent processor in it, and you can
put a notebook hard drive in with little effort. The modem it has internally
is a standard modem (not a WinModem).

So, for about 150 bux, you could have a flat panel computer running your
favorite OS.

What's the catch? Well, since the scoop was released on SlashDot, the
geeks made a rush on them. Circuit City is sold out and back ordered around
the nation. I don't think there is a single store that has them in stock.

You can order them directly from the manufacturer (I did), but you have to
pay 40 dollars in shipping.

Also, alot of people are predicting that the company (Netpliance) will soon
switch to require a service commitement upon purchase of the device.

-Jon