[buug] Linux Security Site

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Mar 17 15:41:46 PST 2000

Quoting Zeke Krahlin (ezekielk at netzero.net):

> Rick Moen wrote on Wed, 8 Mar 2000 18:58:14 -0800:

> If the majority of motorists were still forced to use buggy
> whips, then yes, I'd motivate people to boycott them.

Feeling you're "forced to use Windows" is so... so.. fin de siècle.
Except, without the Impressionism.

> I have Tom's "rtbt - Linux on a Floppy" ready to go, whenever. Then I
> can just run the ssh client.

You think ssh is keen, _wait_ until you start playing with rsync.
http://rsync.samba.org/

> I'm just beginning to get a grasp of that: for instance, that
> your Linux connections are much more secure from viruses and
> intrusion than is Windoze. But if they *can't do on Linux, all
> the things they want to do in Windoze, I don't think I'd get
> beyond square one.

Well, that's where VNC is such a big win.

> And of course (besides safer connections), another great selling
> point is Linux's stability: no more daily crashes and freeze-ups!
> (Except Netscape, dammit...but I just discovered xKill which sure
> beats re-boots...only once Netscape stops working, it refuses to
> work when re-loaded within the same Linux session...so one needs
> to re-boot anyway; but at least *that re-boot is much safer.)

Your ultimate tool for that is to go to a shell and type "killall -9
netscape" (or whatever binary name is mentioned in "ps" or "top").
That blows the browser out of memory immediately.  If you do that,
you'll also want to delete ~/.netscape/lock, before restarting
the program.

rick (at) linuxmafia.com  modern-American-English-usage-improvement association