[buug] Linux Security Site

Zeke Krahlin ezekielk at netzero.net
Fri Mar 17 16:22:08 PST 2000

Rick Moen wrote:
> You think ssh is keen, _wait_ until you start playing with rsync.
> http://rsync.samba.org/

Up, up and away!

> Well, that's where VNC is such a big win.

You've got me sold on it. Since I have ordered an i-opener for
hacking, VNC suddenly becomes mandatory...as that may be the only
way to interface the LCD screen with my main system. But I also
see (now) where running Windoze as slave, via VNC, is also a
great
anti-virus method.

> > (Except Netscape, dammit...but I just discovered xKill which sure
> > beats re-boots...only once Netscape stops working, it refuses to
> > work when re-loaded within the same Linux session...so one needs
> > to re-boot anyway; but at least *that re-boot is much safer.)
>
> Your ultimate tool for that is to go to a shell and type "killall -9
> netscape" (or whatever binary name is mentioned in "ps" or "top").
> That blows the browser out of memory immediately.  If you do that,
> you'll also want to delete ~/.netscape/lock, before restarting
> the program.

Aha, very good! Excellent.

Now, half the time Netscape locks up, I also experience a
complete system freeze-up.
The system is *frozen...no switching to another desktop, no
opening a shell, no moving the mouse cursor, no nothing at all.
IOW: it's not just
the program (Netscape) that freezes, but the ENTIRE SYSTEM! Makes
me feel like I'm back in Windoze again...something I *don't want
to happen. I tried Ctrl-alt-esc, too, out of desperation (nothing
happened).

I had originally set Netscape's cache to 0 (zero), but changing
it to 3MB or any other amount, did not prevent this freeze-up.
So I don't know what else to try. Other than dumping Netscape.

---
Ezekiel J. ("I couldn't hack my way
out of a virtual paper bag") Krahlin
http://www5.50megs.com/fnc