[buug] Linux Security Site

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Mar 17 16:27:16 PST 2000

Quoting Zeke Krahlin (ezekielk at netzero.net):

> Now, half the time Netscape locks up, I also experience a complete
> system freeze-up.  The system is *frozen...no switching to another
> desktop, no opening a shell, no moving the mouse cursor, no nothing at
> all.  IOW: it's not just the program (Netscape) that freezes, but the
> ENTIRE SYSTEM!

(1) Wait 100 seconds or so.  Sometimes, Netscape is just waiting on
a DNS lookup, and you're waiting for the timeout.

(2) Try the breakout methods I mentioned.

(3) Ssh or telnet in, if the machine's on your local LAN.  Then, apply
the measures mentioned previously.

You may also wish to disable Java, Javascript, and Cascading Style
Sheets in Preferences.  They're responsible for most of the bad
craziness in Netscape 4.x.

rick (at) linuxmafia.com  modern-American-English-usage-improvement association