[buug] Linux Security Site

Zeke Krahlin ezekielk at netzero.net
Fri Mar 17 16:47:17 PST 2000

Rick Moen wrote:

> Quoting Zeke Krahlin (ezekielk at netzero.net):
>
> > Now, half the time Netscape locks up, I also experience a complete
> > system freeze-up.  The system is *frozen...no switching to another
> > desktop, no opening a shell, no moving the mouse cursor, no nothing at
> > all.  IOW: it's not just the program (Netscape) that freezes, but the
> > ENTIRE SYSTEM!
>
> (1) Wait 100 seconds or so.  Sometimes, Netscape is just waiting on
> a DNS lookup, and you're waiting for the timeout.

I believe I did wait a lot longer than that, but to be sure, I
will measure my time when Netscape freezes up again. Thanx.

> (2) Try the breakout methods I mentioned.

That would be only if the entire system is not frozen, correct?

> (3) Ssh or telnet in, if the machine's on your local LAN.  Then, apply
> the measures mentioned previously.

I am not connected to any other system; purely stand-alone at
this time.
Wait until I get my i-opener, though.  :)

> You may also wish to disable Java, Javascript, and Cascading Style
> Sheets in Preferences.  They're responsible for most of the bad
> craziness in Netscape 4.x.

That is probably the most likely case. However, I rely on several
important Internet services that heavily use Javascript...such as
my message board provided by Delphi. (Maybe not, though, I'll
give it another try.)

Well, let me see how this all goes. I am very much in agreement
it's the stupid java stuff doing this.
Your help is *much appreciated, even when I disagree due to sheer
ignorance. That's why I call myself:

---
Ezekiel J. ("I couldn't hack my way
out of a virtual paper bag") Krahlin