[buug] RE: Buug digest, Vol 1 #37 - 15 msgs

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Mar 19 11:38:05 PST 2000

Quoting Michael Uman (michaelauman at thegrid.net):

> ...after running NS for about 1/2 hour my swap space is 'virtually'
> gone. Even after I close Netscape, the swap space goes down, but not
> as much as it should.

The swapper will eventually catch up, in my experience.

> I have even killed all remaining Netscape deamons which appear to be
> sitting around waiting for mail or something.

Hmm.  If you have multiple Netscape Communicator/Navigator processes
sitting around in your process table, there's something wrong, right
there.  The browser doesn't have any daemon processes.

> I like Netscape, but hasn't anyone working on the Open Source Mozilla
> project plugged this bug yet?

Mozilla Milestone 14 doesn't leak memory on _my_ system.  But don't
expect too much, since it's still in late alpha.

They might manage to declare beta status by the Mozilla 3.0 party, on
April 6.

> It seems like a debugging tool should be able to catch this mistake.
> In the meantime, I have been using KMail which runs in the KDE
> desktop. This EMail client is pretty useful for standard email. I used
> Eudora many years ago and I may end up checking it out again.

Eudora still strikes me as a small miracle of design.  However, my
personal preference, these days, is Mutt.   http://www.mutt.org/
Threaded operation, colour highlighting, does absolutely everything,
extremely customisable, and it's free software under the GNU General
Public Licence.

It's so customisable that, for example, users invoking "pine" on my
system actually end up using mutt with a pine-style configuration
file, and it's a pretty close imitation.  (Pine itself is not free
software.)

rick (at) linuxmafia.com  modern-American-English-usage-improvement association