[buug] buug-pr mailing list?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue May 16 15:12:58 PDT 2000

Quoting Jon McClintock (jammer at weak.org):

> However, the buug-admin mailing list does not. It will not and can not; we
> need a general point-of-contact for our group.

Ah.  I can well understand, since I get vast amounts of junk on any
e-mail address I have exposed on any mailto: link.

If you want to block off that avenue (and I haven't personally
bothered), the standard method is to change all mailtos to CGI forms,
which deliver mail without exposing the address to public view (and
hence harvesting).

Of course, e-mail accounts that appear on Web pages (including list
archives) and Usenet newsgroups will keep getting spam until Doomsday
because they're never purged from some lists.  The only way around
_that_ problem I'm aware of is to always use plus-addressing when using
an e-mail address in public.

I keep trying to get Heather Stern to write up a HOWTO on the latter
subject.  She knows the technique much better than I do.

--
Cheers,               It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Rick Moen          It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,