[buug] Re: [Buug-admin] Mr Tiemann's unauthorized use

Feedlebom feedle at feedle.net
Tue Sep 26 10:37:39 PDT 2000

On Sat, 23 Sep 2000 TonStanco at aol.com wrote:

> I agree. And I said that. It was my mistake in the first place and I
> apologized for my silly part in this unseemly event.

One thing I'm still trying to figure out, Tony.  In some of your previous
correspondance, you have put forward the opinion that all software needs
to be open, and if I read things right, suggested legislative changes to
copyright law to "encourage" that end.

So, here's the question.  Don't you think it's a bit disingenuous that you
take that position, and yet use as your primary means of Internet access
an ISP that is the ultimate in a closed-source model (proprietary
software, running only on proprietary operating systems, using a
proprietary network communications protocol) ?  In this day and age, where
there are a large quantity of ISPs that not only support Open Source
operating systems, but use them in their backend, why do you continue to
support a company who's entire business model probably would be in
jeapoardy in your world?

Just curious.  This has been a head-scratcher for me ever since reading
some of your first E-mails on this subject some months ago.  Either I
misread your stance, or there's something I'm missing.

-C. Sullivan