[buug] TonStanco is at it again...

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Sep 26 15:20:07 PDT 2000

begin Feedlebom quotation:

> I kinda was left with the impression that it was the issue.

But you have to pick your battles.

Anyone who makes the topic of discussion with that fellow his failure to
use open-source software will probably end up hearing whines about
difficulty and inconvenience, demands that people help him on his terms,
etc.  Which struck me as a truly painful experience, and I have better
ways to use my time.

By the way, like most of us, I can't claim particular purity:  I still
use Netscape Communicator 4.x for Web browsing.  It's not in any way
open source.  You use Pine.  It's not open source, either (not since
v 3.91 -- modified binaries may not be distributed).

Check the licence, if you weren't aware of that:
http://www.washington.edu/pine/overview/legal.html  It's fairly benign,
but not open source.

There's a 100% compatible GPLed clone of pico called "nano".  Nobody's
yet created a GPLed clone of pine (or updated 3.91), but you can operate
the Mutt MUA with a "Pinerc" configuration that makes it very similar.

As soon as Mozilla M18 comes out, I'm hoping to drop the last piece of
non-free software from _my_ personal computing environment.

--
Cheers,                   "Teach a man to make fire, and he will be warm
Rick Moen                 for a day.  Set a man on fire, and he will be warm