[buug] Re: [Buug-admin] Mr Tiemann's unauthorized

Tony Stanco tonystanco at linuxmail.org
Tue Sep 26 17:21:30 PDT 2000

Is this better? Problem is I still need a dial-up to get to this and I can't archive easily.

>You have chosen, by your actions, to not support >open source.  You have
>voted against open source with your dollars.

Fair enough. Do you have a list of free software dial-ups in the DC area?

>This infers that you value convenience over your >"core
>values".  Interesting ethics decision.

"Vanity of Vanities. All is vanity. And the most vain is that with pain purchased." Shakespeare (as close as I remember it). Efficiency is important, because I don't have all the time to do what I need to do in a day.

>I spent four years working for an ISP that was one >of the first in
>Southern California to have a declared "we support >Linux and
>BSD" policy.  This was largely at my direction as a >founding
>member of the technical support staff.  >Additionally, I have selected my
>employers over the years based on their embracing of >open source
>concepts and support of the open source community.  >Being as I work in the
>computer business, I can choose my employers based >on their embracing and
>support of Open Source.  Every company I have worked >for in the last
>eight years has supported open source both >financially, and by "give
>back" into the community.  My current employer gives >meeting space to
>small Linux groups, encourages employees to learn >about Linux through
>education, and permits employees to work on open >source projects on
>company time when they have some "dead time."  They >also pay speaking fees
>to Open Source leaders to speak at sessions for >their employees.

Yes, that is pretty cool. ;-) Though I follow RMS and free software, not open source.

>I merely wish to understand why you choose to support
>financially an Internet provider that is not, by any >definition, "open
>source" friendly.

Yes, I understand. It's a good point.

>Also, for the record, I have never stated that I >think that closed source
>needs to "go away."

I do. All proprietary needs to be replaced.

>Using the "right" ISP will certainly go a long way >to establishing your
>dedication to the values that the Open Source >community embraces.

Yes. I understand. I will do it. Which one is free software in my area.

Thanks for pointing out the inconsistency. Sometimes, we just need a small push to do what we know is right.