[buug] SCO UnixWare 7.1.1 and SSH ?

Bill Schoolcraft bill at wiliweld.com
Tue Jan 2 13:58:14 PST 2001

At Tue, 2 Jan 2001 it looks like Rick Moen composed:

RM-->Twelve years ago, Novell UnixWare was really nice, for a proprietary
RM-->Unix.  I ran it for a while.  I have no idea how it is, now, and will
RM-->be curious to hear about it.
RM-->

Well the install went fine, had to feed in a set of license numbers
which are given free from SCO's website based on either the student
or commercial use.

The setup was easy. Partitioning was either "custom" or
"defaults" and it worked fine with a 20-gig IDE drive. Networking
was an easy setup with fields for IP, Netmask, Broadcast, and
Gateway. I couldn't escape the NIS part of the setup, had to enter a
NIS domain name but it didn't seem to bother anything. I was on the
Internet with Netscape-4.61 right off without a glitch.

Inserting the GNU cdrom I was expecting to see the "autoinstall"
that Solaris-8 has where an interface pops up and scans the CD for
packages. I instead hit the CDE menus (looked and felt like
Solaris-8) and chose the Admin tool (forget the name) and chose
"cdrom_1" and all the packages showed up ala RedHat graphic
installer but with two graphics, the bottom field showed all
"installed" packages on the hard drive and the upper field with the
packages on the CD, and just clicked and installed everything from
Gimp to pine to fetchmail and I think procmail plus a host of
others. KDE was included too and that went in on a second attempt.
Going alphabetically through the CDROM when I got to KDE I clicked
"install" and had an install failure with no explained reason why,
after working my way thorough the CD I came back and started from
the beginnig with the packages that failed the first time and they
all installed, apparently dependencies later installed.

Will be running it at work tomorrow and will have more printer and
dhcp reports.

--
Bill Schoolcraft
PO Box 210076