[buug] [SCO] ssh compile errors from ssh-1.2.27 tar

Bill Schoolcraft bill at wiliweld.com
Tue Jan 2 17:32:35 PST 2001

At Tue, 2 Jan 2001 it looks like Rick Moen composed:

<snipped>
rick->> Undefined first referenced symbol in file getspnam sshd.o
rick->> endspentsshd.o UX:ld: ERROR: sshd: fatal error: Symbol referencing
rick->> errors. No output written to sshd collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
rick->> *** Error code 1 (bu21) UX:make: ERROR: fatal error.
rick->
rick->Hmm.  "getspnam" is a system function to look up an entry in shadowed
rick->password files.
rick->
rick->I don't really know what this portends:  I hope you are taking into
rick->account when you do ./configure that you might need to force PAM vs.
rick->no-PAM or shadowed vs. not-shadowed.  (I don't know current UnixWare
rick->configurations, and so don't know what you're working with.  But, for
rick->example, if you're trying to compile for shadowed-password support, but
rick->you don't have shadowed passwords on your system, that might account for
rick->it.)
rick->
rick->If you keep on not having any luck, look for a SCO-specific newsgroup
rick->or mailing list, and ask if anyone's had the same problem.
rick->

Well, sometimes I ask myself why I keep pounding on these Unix
distro's but I guess I'd rather go through the "fire drill" here at
home than face this at a customers site and have no experience.

I'll keep you posted on the scratches and bruises as this fight
continues.......... :)

--
Bill Schoolcraft
PO Box 210076