[buug] clean install wanted

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Jan 20 21:10:47 PST 2001

begin John d quotation:

> I have switched to slack ware from redhat today.  I did this because  I have
> read that slackware is very simple and configurable and it doesn't do alot
> for you, rather it lets you do what you want.

David S. is correct that NetBSD or OpenBSD would be another way to do
that -- and I would strongly recommend running one of the BSDs at one
point if you really want to know Unix well.  But also:

> I just want a bare bones *minimal* system...nothing that doesn't need
> to be set or be there!

You could install the Debian Base System, and stop there, exiting the
install at that point.  Total space taken up would be around 15 MB.
At that point, you could augment the system either using the built-in
apt-get utility, or by compiling from tarballs into /usr/local.

Please see:  http://linuxmafia.com/debian/tips

--
Cheers,                   "Besides, Debian runs Web sites, Red Hat runs
Rick Moen                  Quake, and Windows runs Half-Life."