[buug] clean install wanted

Jason DiCioccio Jason.DiCioccio at Epylon.com
Mon Jan 22 12:50:40 PST 2001

FreeBSD has also trimmed down its default daemons massively (ssh only
as it stands)..  OpenBSD is indeed very minimalistic but it is a bit
on the slow side for a couple reasons.  One being the encryption it
utilizes for everything.. And two being that they support so many
platforms with not very many developers that it's hard to optimize
one in particular.  I personally use OpenBSD and FreeBSD (have not
used NetBSD in about 4 years, so I can't comment on it).. I guess it
depends what you're looking for.. You can get pretty minimalistic
with FreeBSD (it is by default) but still have a wider variety of
things that you COULD install if you wanted to (via ports) and most
likely a faster system overall.. But if you're just looking for a
bare bones nothing fancy installation such as a firewall etc, they'd
both do a good job, but i'd probably recommend OpenBSD.  It seems
that firewalls are its most popular application after all :)..

- -------
Jason DiCioccio
Evil Genius
Unix BOFH