[buug] clean install wanted

Feedlebom feedle at feedle.net
Tue Jan 23 14:07:26 PST 2001

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, David S. wrote:

> My understanding of "minimal" here is probably more aesthetic than
> technical.  In the free UNIX world, I went from Red Hat Linux -> Debian
> -> Slackware -> FreeBSD -> OpenBSD.  The main Linux distributions -
> Red Hat, Suse, Mandrake, Debian, and so on - are too baroque for my
> taste.  Slackware, in my humble opinion, is preferable to any of them,
> and OpenBSD is better yet.

Baroque?  What do you mean by baroque, exactly?

Debian can be installed in a purely minimalist fashion.  In fact, I
personally have built <100MB machines using Debian as a base, and then
manually installing whatever packages I need to make the box work.

Booting with the boot, root, and mini-base sets, one can construct a good
little basic box, without a lot of fluff.  You could even forgo using
dselect, if desired, and save even more space.

As to the generic Linux vs. xBSD argument: both have their
merits.  I come from the SVR4 world, so lack of init gives me a
rash.  Sue me.  My first UNIX machine was an AT&T 7300.

-Fedl