[buug] ANNOUNCEMENT: Free Dmitry rally at SF Civic Center Monday, July 30 11:30am

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Sat Jul 28 11:10:09 PDT 2001

   With Adobe's show of good faith regarding Dmitry Sklyarov's
   persecution by the FBI and DOJ, we can declare last Monday's
   demonstration a success!

   But it is a limited success, in that Dmitry Sklyarov still sits in a
   federal holding cell in Las Vegas, awaiting the US Marshals to haul
   him away in chains to California.

   We can not simply let this happen! We cannot sit idly by and say to
   ourselves "Oh, I freed Dmitry last week! Why should I do it again?"
   The simple fact is that Dmitry is not free, despite the fact that NO
   ONE WANTS HIM IN JAIL!

   Adobe doesn't want him in jail! The general academic community doesn't
   want him in jail! The Electronic Publisher's Consortium doesn't want
   him in jail! The Free Software community doesn't want him in jail!
   Librarians don't want him in jail! Dmitry's wife and two children
   certainly do NOT want him in jail!

   LET IT BE KNOWN that we will bang on the doors of the towers of
   justice and demand in the loudest voice we have that they...

<pre>

oooooooooooo ooooooooo.   oooooooooooo oooooooooooo
`888'     `8 `888   `Y88. `888'     `8 `888'     `8
 888          888   .d88'  888          888
 888oooo8     888ooo88P'   888oooo8     888oooo8
 888    "     888`88b.     888    "     888    "
 888          888  `88b.   888       o  888       o
o888o        o888o  o888o o888ooooood8 o888ooooood8

oooooooooo.   ooo        ooooo ooooo ooooooooooooo ooooooooo.   oooooo   oooo
`888'   `Y8b  `88.       .888' `888' 8'   888   `8 `888   `Y88.  `888.   .8'
 888      888  888b     d'888   888       888       888   .d88'   `888. .8'
 888      888  8 Y88. .P  888   888       888       888ooo88P'     `888.8'
 888      888  8  `888'   888   888       888       888`88b.        `888'
 888     d88'  8    Y     888   888       888       888  `88b.       888
o888bood8P'   o8o        o888o o888o     o888o     o888o  o888o     o888o

</pre>

   So here's how you can help us out!

     * Make your own sign if you can't go to the party. Be sure that it
       is civil, and does not mention adobe. The key message that we want
       to hammer in is "FREE DMITRY", so make sure it says those two
       words *somewhere* on it. If you can't make a sign, just being
       there is good for the cause!

     * Call up the press and send them this announcement. Many of them
       missed the event in San Jose, and now's their chance to cover the
       FREE DMITRY movement!

     * Show up at San Francisco's Civic Center Plaza, Monday the 30th of
       July at 11:30am PDT. The site is accessible from BART, MUNI Metro,
       and any number of MUNI buses. It's the green square marked "City
       Hall Plaza" on the following map:

http://linuxmafia.com/bale/map-freedmitry-citycentre.jpeg

       You can spot us because we'll be the ones with the signs and
       the shirts that say "FREE DMITRY" on them.  We will meet near
       the intersection of Fulton and Larkin, near the huge statue
       given by James Lick to the City of San Francisco.

       Simply step out of the Civic Center BART/Muni Metro station
       using the escalator labeled "UN Plaza" and walk through the
       park to the statue. City hall will be across the courtyard in
       front of you, and the library will be to your left. Walk along
       until you hit Larkin St.

     * Go to the signmaking party this Sunday. Check these mailing lists
       for the announcement, or mail vadim at xcf.berkeley.edu for details.

     * Be ready to CALL THE NORTHERN DISTRICT OF CALIFORNIA ON THE
       CARPET! Be prepared to GIVE THEM A PIECE OF YOUR MIND! Tell these
       folks to DROP THE CASE because the DMCA is an UNJUST LAW! DEMAND
       that they return this man to his family PRONTO!

   Last Monday's events saw HUNDREDS of demonstrators crying for justice.
   The fact that this was achieved with little to no preparation speaks
   to the power and widespread respect for the Free Dmitry movement. We
   now have four days in which to prepare for this demonstration, so it
   will be spectacular!

   So join us now and FREE DMITRY!

   Nick Moffitt, Coalition To Free Dmitry <ctfd at zork.net>