[buug] Corel WordPerfect isn't...

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Sep 10 19:01:12 PDT 2001

begin C. Sullivan quotation:
> So, I recently purchased a copy of Corel WordPerfect Office for Linux, and
> I've been trying to get it working.  At some point, I'll write up a decent
> review of it (being as I've seen it cheap around town, it might not be a
> bad investment if StarOffice or Koffice dosen't turn you on).  But,
> Iwanted to get people's opinion about something that it does that I feel
> is broken.

You know, I've just never been impressed by WordPerfect 9.0 for Linux
and the other parts of "Corel WordPerfect Office 2000".  Mostly because
they're Winelib implementations, rather than genuine native Linux
binaries.

On the other hand, WP 8 for Linux _is_ a proper Linux native binary, and
is a great deal less bloated and more stable.  You can find a copy
inside http://linuxmafia.com/pub/linux/apps/ .

> Now, is it just me, or is this... well, sloppy?

You bet.  Of course, (1) using Winelib cut their development cost to the
bone (at the expense of quality, in my view), and (2) their target
market probably doesn't mind the compromises -- or the bloat, for that
matter.

> Just wanted to bounce this off the group.  Perhaps the reason Corel hasn't
> had success in the Linux market may be because... *gasp* their software is
> defective.

Try WP 8.0.  I still like it a great deal -- considering it's
proprietary software with no long-term prospects whatsoever.  It was a
nice achievement.

--
Cheers,               Everything is gone;
Rick Moen             Your life's work has been destroyed.