[buug] InstallFest tomorrow (Sunday)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Sep 15 22:31:00 PDT 2001

It's InstallFest / Install-A-Thon time again.

The Bay Area BSD and Linux communities are once again collaborating on a
joint "freenix" event at the Robert Austin Computer Show (swap meet),
Sunday, Sept. 16 (tomorrow) from 10 AM to 4 PM -- at the Oakland
Convention Center, right next to the 12 Street Oakland BART station.

What's this all about?

Install.
Get technical help.
Hang out and shmooze.

Directions:  http://www.robertaustin.com/directions.htm#oakland
Maps:  http://www.robertaustin.com/map_oakland.htm

For x86 machines, we'll have current stable versions of all four
open-source BSDs (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD[1], and Apple Darwin), a
snapshot of FreeBSD current (5.0) and 4.4rc1, and a couple of _dozen_ or
more Linux distributions, including the latest betas of Linux-Mandrake
and Red Hat, plus Linux binaries of Star Office, Open Office, Word
Perfect 8.0, and, for the amusement value, Microsoft NetShow 2.0 beta
for Linux.

Non-x86?  I also have NetBSD for all supported architectures, Yellow Dog
2.0 and the LinuxPPC 2000 "MacWorld" for PPC machines, and Debian 2.2
for SPARC and DEC Alpha machines.

We'll be equipped for regular CD-ROM installs, NFS/ftp/http installs,
PLIP / laplink-cable installs, you name it.

This event is put on as a joint production of:
CABAL:  Consortium of All Bay Area Linux (Menlo Park)
BAFUG:  Bay Area FreeBSD User Group (Berkeley & Foster City)
BALUG:  Bay Area Linux User Group (San Francisco)
SVBUG:  Silicon Valley BSD User Group (San Jose)

Anyone who needs help with installs, needs help with BSD or Linux
problems, or just wants to hang out and chat is very welcome to
join us.  Be advised that the Robert Austin Company does charge $8
general adult admission.  Details here:
http://www.robertaustin.com/showregistation.htm

Answers to most other questions can be found here:
http://linuxmafia.com/cabal/installfest/

[1] Not the just-released 1.5.2.  I have the 1.5.1 "multiboot" CD from
ftp.iastate.edu covering most architectures, and 1.5 covering the rest.