[buug] Q license

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Apr 5 11:01:10 PST 2002

Quoting Ian Zimmerman (itz at speakeasy.org):

> My comment was based on recent very personal and very painful
> experience with the Q license and another unrelated piece of software,
> and my knowledge (still correct, AFAIK) that Qt itself is covered by
> it.

Qt 2.2 and above is dual-licensed QPL and GPL.  Trolltech's decision
to do that eliminated the KDE licence debete, prospectively.

Of course, QPL/GPL prevent third parties from incorporating code into
proprietary software, so you can alternatively purchase an instance of
Qt under proprietary licensing.  Two slightly differing offers of this
kind are dubbed the "Professional" and "Enterprise" editions.
As far as I know, this is the same codebase with different licence and
support terms.

(I'm referring to the X11 version.  There's also some proprietary
implementations for Win32 and Apple Quartz/Aqua.)

--
Cheers,      "Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first
Rick Moen     woman she meets, and then teams up with three complete strangers